Its name comes from the latin Word “finis terrae”, the end of the Earth and also the last stop of the Santiago de Compostela pilgrim walk. The geographical uniqueness of Fisterra grew on numerous people for as far as we can remember. People that wished to take a glance at the end of the world, place where the Earth ends and the Sea begins. At least this is what the Roman soldiers believed when they saw that the Sun sunk into the Sea waters.
Fisterra is located in “Cabo Finisterre” which was declared in 2007 European Heritage for its wild landscapes and impressive beaches
Faro de Fisterra (Fisterra’s Lighthouse)
Fisterra’s Lighthouse is the most important lighthouse in Costa da Morte. With its light it guides navigating boats along these dangerous waters, due to the thunders and bad weather in this region and due to the reefs that exist in these waters that can cause boats sinking.
The building we can see nowadays is from 1853 and its the most visited place in Galicia after the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral.
As Fisterra belongs to the municipal territory of Finisterre which is a Cape, it is surrounded by sea and excellent beaches. Some of these beaches are open sea and with heavy swell (appropriate for surfing) and others are sheltered with calm and crystal waters.
- Playa de Langosteira - Langosteira Beach
- Playa de Talón - Talon Beach
- Playa de Corveiro - Corveiro Beach
- Playa de la Ribeira - De la Ribeira Beach
- Playa de Sardineiro - Sardineiro Beach
- Playa de Mar de Fóra - Mar de Fora Beach
- Playa de Arnela - Arnela Beach
- Playa de Rostro - Rostro Beach
Santiago de Compostela Walk
Different to other pilgrimage routes, this one does not have as final destiny de capital city of Galicia, all the opposite it is where the walk starts.
The Pilgrim Walk from Santiago to Finisterre, crossing Muxia, is a sourt of divided postscript into four stages that pilgrims undertake after visiting the Saint (El Apostol).
Their aim is to see for themselves “the end of the Earth” as well as its surroundings, full of magical ancient cults places that last right up to the present day.
San Carlos Castle
San Carlos Castle is a defensive fort that was ordered to be built during the King Carlos III of Spain period, so the coast could be defended and protected from foreign ship attacks. In 1892, the castle was sold by the State and purchased in a public auction by Mr. Placito Castro Rivas who was an important person in the industrial business of this region and who was also born and bread there. Years later in 1948, his son, Placido Castro del Rio, donated this property to the town of Finisterre with the purpose of making this building into a museum.
Finally, Finisterre´s Fishmen Guild and The Sailing Counselling enabled this place to be converted it into “El Museo de la Pesca” (The Fishing Museum), which was inaugurated in 2006. In this museum it is shown how fishing has developed though out time, in regards to ships and fishing gears. We can also see how seafaring people and wrecks are produced on this coast and how it has changed over time.
Touristc fish Market
This building is the work of the architects Juan Creus and Covadonga Carrasco, and it is the market where the fish that comes from sea is auctioned allowing visitors to see how the first fish sales are carried out. Visitors can also see and learn which important marine species are caught by inshore boats in this port. These fish and seafood can later on be tasted in the numerous restaurants and contributes to the main touristic cuisine in this town. Moreover, with in this market hosts an exhibition about fishing that anyone that visits can enjoy.